Sunday, September 19, 2010

Le meilleur week-end

SO much has happened since my last blog post, so get ready for some exciting news. Honestly, I predict that I had the best few days that I will have all semester.

Okay, so I'll start with the first day of work. Working a 9-5 job is really weird to be honest. I have never done it, and part of me kind of prefers the 24/7 workday of camp, but it will be nice to establish a routine and dare I say get a taste of the "real world". I hate that phrase. I'll take the bus to work everyday, but lucky for me I wait for it at arguably one of the prettiest bus stops in the world. My first day of work started off only I as I would expect for myself- oversleeping an hour. But we managed to be on time which was really lucky... When we arrived at the consulate there was a visitor! The new Desk Officer for France in Washington was visiting the consulate, which was a nice introduction to what everyone in the office does and what not. More importantly, she brought macaroons from Paris. Win.

Overall I think I'm going to like work and the people there a lot. I'll be trained for about the first week, so nothing too exciting until then.

NOW the real excitement. Brooke and I left early Friday morning to take the TGV (bullet train) to Paris for the Rentrée. The month of August is vacation time for the French, so the period in September when everyone returns to work is referred to as "rentrée". What better way to kick work off than a party? So we journeyed up to Paris for that, and to pick up our security badges. After we got off the metro we had a bit of trouble finding the right entrance to the embassy. After walking in a circle for a few minutes we paused to look around. How did we finally find the right entrance you ask? We spotted a black Chevy SUV being searched by a guy with an American flag lapel pin. Dead giveaway. I'm pretty sure the Americans who work for the Embassy are the only ones in Paris, or France for that matter, with Chevy SUVs.

Once at the Embassy we met some officers in various sectors and learned a little more about their responsibilities and what not. They are also very into giving out cards, so i now have a nice little collection.

Then on to the party, which just so happens to be next door to the French president's house. Seriously, probably the most awesome thing I've ever been to in my life. The residence was incredible, as were the desserts/wine. For not knowing anyone at all, Brooke and I managed to do pretty well with meeting people, including the ambassador himself!

Brooke, Ambassador Rivkin, and myself
Ambassador's residence- not too shabby   

The next day in Paris we wondered around the old Jewish Ghetto (located by the Pompidou Centre) and went to some great vintage shops. Digging through vintage Parisian clothes- surprisingly fun. I had my first croissant of the trip which probably contained approximately one stick of butter.. mmm... I will definitely be making more trips to Paris.

We returned home to Marseille late Saturday night, which was nice to be back in quasi-familiar territory. Today the weather was gorgeous, making my run that much better. Sundays definitely seem to be the day for Regattas. I could probably see 100 sailboats from my room at one point. Sailing is definitely one of my goals while I'm here. Is it bad that Brooke and I are trying to find a friend... but more specifically a friend with a sail boat? I didn't think so.


Off to watch the sunset...

5 comments:

  1. Wow...amazing weekend!! Glad you had such a wonderful adventure. Add in vintage shopping and a true Parisian croissant...I will be there next week!

    Have a wonderful week Annette!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends with sailboats...I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably don't remember but when we made our family trip to France the first place we walked to was the neighborhood around the Pompedieu (sp) Center

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, vintage clothes shopping is surprisingly fun? Annette, please. In the meantime, I'd appreciate a full study on how it is that french women have such incredible style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette,
    Your writing is wonderful and makes me yearn for France. Make sure you balance the croissants with the macaroons and the wine!

    ReplyDelete